The National Institute of Research and Development for Biological Sciences Bucharest (INCDSB) operates according to the Government Decision no. 2.082/2004 and is located at Splaiul Independenței, no. 296, sector 6, Bucharest.
INCDSB operates under the coordination of the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digitisation (www.research.gov.ro), according to the Order of the Minister of Education and Research No 5755/06.01.2020, which granted it A+ accreditation for a period of 5 years starting from 01.01.2020.
INCDSB's mission is excellence in life sciences research, assumed through the process of integrating inter-disciplinary institutional research on the three main directions - biomedicine/health, agriculture, nutrition and food safety, respectively environment and biodiversity - and ensuring cross-disciplinarity by the four complementary areas (bioanalysis, bioinformatics, applied biotechnologies and research in extreme environments).
INCDSB's vision is to contribute, through cooperation with local and international partners, to understanding life processes and providing sustainable solutions to the challenges of environment, health, natural resource depletion, food, etc.
The key development objectives for the period 2021-2027, aligned with the three pillars of activity of the INCDSB that fall within the strategic objectives of the Horizon Europe and European Green Pact programmes, include:
- Increase and strengthen institutional and human resource competences in life sciences and related fields to actively contribute to providing solutions to identified European challenges (INCDSB contribution to sustainable management of natural resources);
- Strengthening an institutional portfolio of transferable technologies and knowledge and stepping up the process of knowledge and technology transfer to external users, thereby helping to accelerate the green transition to a circular economy;
- Integration into networks of research infrastructures, development of a research pole of excellence involving a national research network in agro-food and medical (bio)technologies, capable of providing solutions to global challenges and to the challenges generated by the "one health" approach;
- Maintain and expand existing international partnerships and strengthen exchanges of knowledge and know-how to promote research in cell biology, genetics, proteomics, metabolomics and biotechnologies;
- Creation of the International Centre for Advanced Studies on River-Sea Systems "DANUBIUS-RI".
INCDSB, through the work of all its research teams, has the potential to contribute to the achievement of the European Union's objectives of sustainable, knowledge-based development. Thus, through its inter and trans-disciplinary research activities, INCDSB participates in the achievement of objectives related to:
- Promoting open strategic autonomy by creating key value chains to accelerate the green transition and focus technologies and innovation on human needs;
- restoring ecosystems and biodiversity and sustainable management of natural resources ensuring food security and a clean and healthy environment,
- The transition to a sustainable European economy, applying the principles of economic circularity and climate neutrality of Europe.